Helpful Tips BlogOur services truly set us apart from our competitors.
How to clean dirty grout
So how do you get that dirty grout clean? Well first we have to determine if the grout has previously been sealed or not. And if it has, is the sealer still present? We can determine this by performing this simple test. Take a small amount of water and pour it into the grout lines. Watch how the grout responds to the water. If the water is quickly absorbed into the grout then the grout is in an unprotected state. If the water does not absorb into the grout, then the grout is still protected by a sealer. Grout that is sealed responds better to cleaning since dirt and grease is not able to penetrate the grout. Most grout is soiled with household oils and dirt. This type of soil can be effectively cleaned with a degreaser. There are many degreasers that are available to home owners. One that all should be very familiar with is dish detergent. Follow the following steps using dish detergent to get that dirty grout clean again.
- Make a solution using 1/2 cup of dish detergent and 1 gallon of water. For extra strength you can boost the solution with 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Saturate the floor with the solution and let it dwell for 15 minutes. This allows the solution to emulsify the soils.
- Agitate the grout lines with a stiff bristle brush.
- Remove solution using a sponge.
- Use clear water to rinse the grout.
- Repeat steps 1 thru 5 until grout is cleaned as desired.
- Allow grout to dry.
- Apply penetrating sealer according to instructions on label.
- If all above fails (including motivation) – contact a professional for a free estimate!